The VC women's tennis team traveled over the Grapevine Tuesday, only to return following a heartbreaking 5-4 defeat to the Renegades. Tricia McClain was Ventura's only double winner, prevailing in No. 6 singles and winning in No. 3 doubles with partner Keressa Garland. Allie De Marco won in No. 3 singles for the Pirates (10-8, 8-5) while Lea Meschke and Jule Lauinger earned a point in No.2 doubles.
McClain won her No. 6 singles match 6-1, 6-0 while De Marco was victorious at No. 3, love and love. Lauinger took an early lead in the No. 4 singles match, as did Garland at No. 5, but neither could hold on, each falling in three sets. Bakersfield led 4-2 following singles play.
In doubles, Garland and McClain won at No. 3, 8-6 to close the gap, but the Renegades won at no. 1 to clinch the match. Meschke and Lauinger won their No. 2 doubles match by default.
The Pirates will make up a rain out against Santa Monica on Tuesday April 3. The regular season finale is scheduled to begin at 2:30 pm at the VC Tennis Center. Ventura begins the Western State Conference singles and doubles championships at VC on Friday April 6.
Ventura 4, Bakersfield 5
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Kayleen Sanchez (BC), 6-2, 6-3
2. Alyssa Powell (VC) lost to Serena Contreras (BC), 6-1, 6-1
3. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Sophia Castillo (BC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Jule Lauinger (VC) lost to Kenzi Williamson (BC), 4-6, 6-0, 6-5
5. Keressa Garland (VC) lost to Brandi Borjon (BC), 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Tricia McClain (VC) def. Chasidy Sotello (BC), 6-1, 6-0
1. Powell/De Marco (VC) lost to Sanchez/Contreras (BC), 8-2
2. Meschke/Lauinger (VC) def. Castillo/Sotello (BC), def.
3. Garland/McClain (VC) def. Williamson/Borjon (BC), 8-6