The Pirates' women's tennis team took a hit by default, falling to Antelope Valley College 6-3 Tuesday afternoon in Lancaster. The Pirates lost two points, one at No. 6 singles and the other at No. 3 doubles as they did not have six available players, for the difference in the match. Victoria Neumann and Denissa Garcia won in singles play while Tanya Thompson and Keressa Garland posted a doubles victory for VC (5-11, 5-7).
Neumann posted a 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 1 singles slot while Garcia won at No. 5 singles, 7-5, 6-2. Garland narrowly lost her No. 5 singles match, 3-6, 7-6, 6-4. In doubles, Thompson and Garland posted an 8-5 victory in the No. 2 slot.
Ventura next hosts Bakersfield on Thursday March 28 at 2:00 pm in a make-up from Feb. 14.
Ventura 3, Antelope Valley 6
1. Victoria Neumann (VC) def. Viktoriia Belogonova (AVC), 6-4, 6-4
2. Tanya Thompson (VC) lost to Becca Jaimes (AVC), 6-2, 6-2
3. Aliyah Amaya (VC) lost to Erica Garcia (AVC), 7-5, 6-3
4. Keressa Garland (VC) lost to Mary Flint-Herrera (AVC), 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
5. Denissa Garcia (VC) def. Natalie Pinzon (AVC), 7-5, 6-2
6. (VC) lost to Marbella Rubio (AVC), default
1. Neumann/Amaya (VC) lost to Belogonova/Flint-Herrera (AVC), 8-0
2. Thompson/Garland (VC) def. Garcia/Jaimes (AVC), 8-5
3. (VC) lost to Pinxon/Rubio (AVC), default