The visiting Santa Monica Corsairs came to the VC Tennis Center shorthanded. That did not matter to the Pirates' women's tennis team, however, as they took five of the six matches played, claiming the regular season finale 8-1. Keressa Garland highlighted the match with a marathon, three-hour 4-6, 6-4, 14-12 victory at No. 4 singles. The victory puts Ventura (11-8, 9-5) tied for third place in the eight-team Western State Conference standings.
Jule Lauinger had the quickest match of the day. She was leading 5-0 in her No. 3 singles match when her opponent retired. Allie De Marco won in No. 2 singles, one and love. With a pair of default wins, the Pirates took the match in singles play 5-1.
Ventura will return to the court on Friday April 6 with the beginning of the WSC singles and doubles championships. Play in the draws will continue on Saturday April 7 and conclude on Friday April 13 at the VC Tennis Center.
Ventura 8, Santa Monica 1
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Abby Mullins (SMC), 6-1, 6-0
2. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Mina Girit (SMC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Jule Lauinger (VC) def. Amanda Golling (SMC), 5-0, ret.
4. Keressa Garland (VC) def. Kiho Hirayama (SMC), 4-6, 6-4, 14-12
5. Tricia McClain (VC) wins by default
6. Chelsea Carmichael (VC) wins by default
1. Alyssa Powell/De Marco (VC) def. Mullins/Girit (SMC), 8-3
2. Meschke/Lauinger (VC) def. Golling/Hiryama (SMC), 8-1
3. Garland/McClain (VC) win by default