The VC women's tennis team evened their Western State Conference record halfway through conference play with a 7-2 victory over Antelope Valley at the VC Tennis Center on Tuesday. Tanya Thompson posted the largest margin of victory in singles for the Pirates (3-6, 3-3), a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 2, and she paired with Victoria Nuemann for another in in No. 1 doubles, 8-2.
Nuemann also won in No. 1 singles 6-1, 6-4 while Keressa Garland was also a double winner at No. 4 singles and No. 2 doubles with Aliyah Amaya. Denissa Garcia and Cali Iadevaia won in Nos. 5 and 6 singles, respectively, and Garcia teamed up with Emily Ward to take No. 3 doubles.
The Pirates begin the second round of WSC play on Tuesday Mar. 5 at Santa Barbara.
Ventura 7, Antelope Valley 2
1. Victoria Nuemann (VC) def. Viktoriia Belogonova (AVC), 6-1, 6-4
2. Tanya Thompson (VC) def. Erica Garcia (AVC), 6-2, 6-0
3. Aliyah Amaya (VC) lost to Becca Jaimes (AVC), 7-5, 5-7, 10-7
4. Keressa Garland (VC) def. Mary Flint-Herrera (AVC), 6-0, 6-3
5. Denissa Garcia (VC) def. Natalie Pinzon (AVC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Cali Iadevaia (VC) def. Marbella Rubio (AVC), 6-3, 6-3
1. Nuemann/Thompson (VC) def. Belogonova/Flint-Herrera (AVC), 8-2
2. Garland/Amaya (VC) lost to Garcia/Jaimes (AVC), 9-8
3. Garcia/Emily Ward (VC) def. Pinxon/Rubio (AVC), 8-2