The VC beach volleyball team traveled to Bakersfield on Friday for the final day of the regular season, splitting a pair of Western State Conference matches. The Pirates (12-7, 7-3) defeated Antelope Valley 4-1 in the early contest before falling to Moorpark 3-2 in the second match. Taylor Benitez-Fanslow and Shea Mckeown in the No. 3 slot were the only Pirates to post two wins on the day.
Against AVC, the Pirates rolled to their third victory of the season against the Marauders. Benitez-Fanslow and Mckeown won easily while yielding just nine points, 21-5, 21-4, and Armonee Hunter and Kasie Spencer won at No. 2, 21-15, 21-14. Sofia Gomez and Jordan Neria took three sets to defeat their opponents in the No. 4 slot, 21-9, 16-21, 15-10 while Carina Cates and Danielle Garcia got a victory by forfeit.
Unfortunately for the Pirates, Bakersfield defeated Moorpark in the final match of the day, pushing the Renegades into sole possession of second place in the conference standings, leaving VC in third place, and out of an automatic playoff bid. The Pirates will hopefully await an at-large invitation into the playoffs beginning Tuesday May 1.
In the meantime, the Western State Conference individual pairs championships begin Wednesday April 25 at the Harbor Cove Courts at the Ventura Marina. The championships will conclude Friday April 27 in Bakersfield.
Ventura 4, Antelope Valley 1
1. Braxton Jessie/Janessa Simental (VC) lost to Heather Emory/Jasmine Dixon (AVC), 21-10, 21-17
2. Armonee Hunter/Kasie Spencer (VC) def. Bella Bradford/Bailey Green (AVC) 21-15, 21-14
3. Taylor Benitez-Fanslow/Shea Mckeown (VC) def. Elizabeth Perez/Melissa Lee (AVC) 21-5, 21-4
4. Sofia Gomez/Jordan Neria (VC) def. Taylor Williams/Alexandria Peacon (AVC), 21-9, 16-21, 15-10
5. Carina Cates/Danielle Garcia (VC) def. AVC, forfeit